Friday, July 6, 2018

Fourth of July

Celebrated Independence day with a traditional small town parade in Wasilla. It was followed by the Mayor's Picnic in the town park (Sarah Palin is a former mayor of Wasilla).

The volunteer handing out flags had a shirt I had to take a picture of. I had just mentioned to Toni that I was surprised how little NFL and college stuff I had seen throughout the trip. And no Steelers or Ohio State (though Pirates and Penguins I had seen). And later in the day,  a young boy had a Buckeye jersey on. 

The streets were lined with people

We had our spots early...

... right near the Wasilla City Hall

Police 

Military members

One running for governor

Big trucks

Hot rod with an extension

Seniors

Fred Meyer (grocery store) volunteers padding out candy to the kids from shopping carts/ 
buggies.

All the candy was going to the kids but Rob was happy when the Girl Scouts included is in their gifts. 

Rodeo riders and the Navy flag

 
tractors

More tractors

Old cars

The current governor

Parade was two hours long. 

Three fire department had their ladder truck spraying water for the kids. Everyone was commenting on the stifling heat (high 70s and may have hit 80 today) so even a few adults enjoyed the water. 

Loved their emblems

So joined the Wasilla community and the mayor for the day. Free hotdogs,  chips and soda. Music. 

And the Boy Scouts were making Root Beer floats for a donation. Rob got two even though Toni doesn't like them.  Thus the smile. 

The park was filled

And took some time in the afternoon to start packing up the suitcases and organizing the camper for the Friday return. 

Final campground dinner

The evening sun on the mountains


No comments:

Post a Comment